Human Subject Ethics Training in the Protection of Human Participants
The Collaborative IRB Training Initiative (CITI) was founded in March, 2000 as a collaboration between the University of Miami and the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center to develop a web based training program in human research subjects protections. The CITI course contains training modules for Biomedical and Social and Behavior Science research. Social and Behavioral research is the primary research performed here at California State University, San Bernardino. In addition to the "basic" content, the CITI model provides the opportunity for our institution to post additional instructional materials specific to CSUSB training needs.
Please read the following as your IRB application will likely be delayed if you complete the incorrect human subject's training module. The module(s) administration, faculty, staff, and students need to complete is either Group 1 or Group 2. Do NOT complete the Students in Research Module or the Responsble Conduct of Research Module as these are NOT the mandatory training modules required by the IRB with the submission of your protocol.
Both the faculty advisor and their student must complete the IRB training before submitting their IRB application. IF the training is not completed the IRB application will not be reviewed until the investigator(s) on the protocol complete the training. Please make sure to complete the correct training noted below.
Step by Step Visual Instructions can be found at the following website below:
Enter the CITI online training website below. You need to register first to create your log-in username and password.
- CITI Online Training Website
- Click on the Create an Account/Register button.
- Select Your Organization Affiliation and Enter the abbreviation Calif and a list of California State Universities will show up in the drop down menu. Select California State University, San Bernardino.
- Continue to Step 2.
- Proceed with registering by entering your student name, CSUSB E-mail address, and a secondary E-mail address.
- Proceed to Step 3.
- Create a Username and Password. Include a Security Question and Answer.
- Continue to Step 4.
- Enter your Country of Residence, Gender, Ethnicity, and Race (Note you may refuse to answer your Gender, Ethnicity and Race).
- Proceed to Step 5.
- Select No for receiving Continuing Education Credits. If you enter Yes you will be charged for receiving the Continuing Education Credits.
- Select Yes, No, or Not Sure, Ask Me Later if you would like CITI to contact you later to participate in Research Surveys.
- Continue to Step 6.
- Enter the information requested by California State University, San Bernardino.
- Continue to Step 7.
- Question 1: Select either Group 1 (Biomedical Research Investigators and Key Personnel) or Group 2 (Social Behavioral Research Investigators and Key Personnel).
- Question 2: Fill in the appropriate information if you work with animals, otherwise skip this question if you do not work with animal subjects.
- Question 3: Select Yes or No if you want to complete the Conflict of Interest Mini-Course (Select No if you do not want to complete the Conflict of Interest Mini-Course).
- Question 4: Skip (do not answer) Question 4.
- Question 5: Select the appropriate Responsible Conduct of Research Module to complete if you're required to complete this as part of a class course or class assignment. Select Not at this time if your not required to complete one of these modules. These modules are NOT required by the IRB to complete, you only need to complete either Group 1 or Group 2 as noted on this webpage.
- Select Finalize Your Registration.
- This will complete your registration and you can proceed to the California State University, San Bernardino Course to complete your human participants (subjects) training.
- Note you must receive 100% on all the quizzes at the end of each module. If you incorrectly answer a quiz question you can select the module again to read/refresh your memory of the module's course content. Or, you can select the module again and proceed to take the quiz over.
CHOOSE FROM ONE OF THE BELOW REQUIRED TRAINING MODULES
(Follow the instructions carefully in order to not delay the processing of your IRB application).
Group 1 - Biomedical Research Investigators and Key Personnel: Those in the medical sciences, such as Biology, Chemistry and Nursing should complete this module.
Group 2 - Social Behavioral Research Investigators and Key Personnel: Those in the social sciences, such as Psychology, Social Work, and Sociology should complete this module.
Please note NIH Financial Conflict of Interest Training also available on CITI training site.
The above listed research modules (Learning Groups) are the only human subjects training courses required to comply with the Mandatory Training Policy [Word Document]. There is a small test at the end of each module consisting of 5 to 10 questions. Passing score is 100%, but you can retake the test as many times as you require. The module simply scrambles the order of the questions to ensure your paying attention. Failure to complete the training, either by the faculty advisor or the investigator (student or faculty) will be returned to the faculty advisor/faculty member without IRB review.